The Financial Coach position offers a unique opportunity for a highly motivated individual, bilingual (English/Spanish), to work in a growth-oriented program. The Coach plays an instrumental role in the Thrive Financial Success Center by working with low to moderate income participants to help them change financial behavior, build assets, and become financially stable. He/she will work with each client to create an individualized action plan designed to reach target goals including improving credit score, budgeting, reducing debt, saving, and asset development, among others. The Coach will maintain regular contact with clients to assess progress and provide encouragement to adhere to the plan or make adjustments as necessary. He/she will also refer clients to the appropriate external resources such as MassHire, Department of Transitional Assistance, food pantries, Mass211, etc. to ensure that all appropriate resources are available to the client. The position may require some travel within Hampden County.
Reports to: Director, Community Impact & Engagement
- Completion of client’s intake/assessment form
- Establish each client’s personal financial goals including: reducing debt, improving credit, working within a budget, saving for emergencies, and building assets. Work with the client to develop a plan of action intended to help the client reach his/her goals and achieve financial stability
- Provide tools, resources, and accountability to help the client meet his/her goals
- Ensure that the client is aware of access to income supports and has applied if interested
- Ensure that client is aware of workforce development services and has enrolled in appropriate programs as outlined in the action plan
- Understand other services offered by the Center and elsewhere, and connect the client to those services as needed
- Use questioning techniques to encourage the client to identify solutions and actions and take a proactive approach to financial management and stability (coaching technique)
- Maintain regular contact (e.g. at least monthly) with clients and keep them motivated to adhere to their action plan
- Use appropriate software to track clients’ progress and outcomes
- Develop workshop materials as necessary for clients, funders, and organizations that could refer clients to Thrive
- Perform outreach in the community, together with Americorps VISTA members
- Work with mainstream financial institutions to learn about options for Thrive clients
- Contribute feedback to the coaching team, including trends noticed among clients’ needs, new resources, etc.
- Must attend initial coaching training session and other trainings as available
Position Skills and Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree from a 4-year accredited institution
- Bilingual in Spanish
- A strong understanding of personal finances, particularly in the areas of budgeting, asset building, and credit building
- A strong sense of team
- The ability to provide financial coaching services in a culturally sensitive manner
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to tailor-fit an action plan to a particular client’s needs
- Creative, practical and strategic problem solving skills
- Ability to adapt coaching methods and tools to create more effective organizational and client outcomes
UWPV believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination in the workplace in any employment-related decisions based on characteristics protected by law.
Please send resume and cover letter to Jennifer Kinsman at email@example.com to apply.